Monday, November 23, 2009

The Bean report! or Bean there done that!


I've bean going batty for beans this growing season.

Starting at the Toowoomba Community Organic Gardens I have planted yin yang beans, red kidney beans, butter beans, purple king bush beans and navy (that's the baked bean kinda beans) beans. At home I also have a small area of borlotti beans and more yin yang beans.

The yin yang beans I planted in September and are now flowering and setting beans. I also planted a row of yin yangs here at home last Monday and they are nearly all up as of today. I'll let these guys go straight through to seed so I can use them as a dried bean.


Red kidney beans (anyone up for chilli con carne?). I planted 5 x 10 mtr rows Wednesday week ago and apart from a bit of cut worm here and there I'd have had a 100% strike. They seem to be doing well in the heat though we have heaps of water to pour on them to keep them going.

Butter beans, I planted a two meter row 4/5 weeks ago and they are about to flower and set beans, so I'll have to plant a follow up row this Wednesday so I can be sure of a continuous supply of butter beans.

Purple king beans are nearly a ditto of the butter beans but about two weeks behind.



The Borlotti beans I planted here at home a week ago seem a bit hit and miss. Probably a low as a 50% strike, but it's been dreadfully hot so I would not be surprised if some of the seeds cooked in the ground. I was hoping for more from this planting of borlotti beans but I guess I'll just harvest what I can and plant again next year. The red kidney beans look like more than making up for any short fall in production though.

Well it's bean a long hot day here again so I'm off to the pub to relax and unwind before I start a new working week tomorrow.

Bookmark and Share


Cheers and happy bean growing

Stewart.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Shouldn't that be, "I've BEAN going batty for beans this growing season." ? Cheers! :)

My Veggie Garden said...

Oh yes, I've bean slack!

Roll said...

hrmmmmmm good one Stewart! You just gave me an idea. We eat a lot of chick peas and lentils, (my wife is vegetarian and I only eat meat every few months), so, I'm sure I can grow chick peas but I'll have to research and see if I can do lentils as well, how awesome would that be. Hrmmmmmm
Ideas ideas ideas. heh.

Anonymous said...

I have read so many posts concerning the blogger
lovers but this piece of writing is actually a good article, keep it up.


Also visit my page - healthy diet plans for women to lose weight