Thursday, July 15, 2010

Half way up or half way down?

So what have I been doing and where have I been? Well let me tell you. No, better still, let me show you.

Ta da



What do you do when your half way up a mountain and you are deciding whether to keep going or to make a strategic retreat? Why, you make a video and sing and dance.


This is the view from not quite half way up Mt. Tibrogargan, part of the Glasshouse Mtns. (http://www.sunshinecoast-australia.com/glass-house-mountains.html) looking westish to Mt. Beerwah (the big one left of screne) plus a few others I've forgotten the names of.
Oh, and um, I did manage about another 50 odd meters up the mtn. but felt I wasn't fit enough to continue and besides that I was shi#%&ng myself.

My 'Take A Walk in South-East Queensland' guide book suggest Mount Tibrogargan is a hard walk, graded (AS Class5). And I'd suggest they have got it right. It goes on to say 'Only confident, experienced scramblers should attempt the steep climb to Mount Tibrogargan's 364 metre summit. It's rated 'hard' because of the precipitous nature of the climb, (the bit I got stuck on) and 'Tibro"has certianly had it's share of fatilities'.

Will I have another go? As the memory of the fear subsides it might become possible. I think I took on way too much in one go so I'm going to try a few smaller and easier mtns. and maybe build up my courage and then decide.

It's no biggie if I don't but I do feel like I've been defeated by my fears, and I'm not fond of that.
Bookmark and Share


Cheers

Stewart

PS
According to Aboriginal legend

According to Aboriginal legend, Tibrogargan (364m high), the father and Beerwah (555m - highest peak) the mother, had a number of children. Coonowrin (377m high - narrowest and most dramatic of all the volcanic plugs) was the eldest, Tunbubudla were the twins (293m and 312m), Coochin (235m), Ngungun (253m), Tibberoowuccum (220m), Miketeebumulgrai (199m) and Elimbah (129m).

The legend tells of Tibrogargan noticing that the sea was rising and calling out to Coonowrin to help his pregnant mother gather the young children together so that the family could flee from the rising sea. Coonowrin ran away in fear and Tibrogargan, incensed by his son's cowardice, followed and hit him so hard with a club that his neck was dislocated. When the seas retreated the family returned to the plains. Conowrin, teased about his crooked neck and ashamed of his behaviour, went to Tibrogargan and asked for forgiveness but the father just wept with shame. Conowrin then approached his brothers and sisters to ask forgiveness but they too could only weep with shame, thus explaining the area's many small streams. Tibrogargan then called Conowrin and asked why he had failed to help Beerwah. He explained that he felt she was big enough to look after herself, though he did not know she was pregnant. Tibrogargan then turned his back on his son and still gazes out to sea today, refusing to look at his son who forever hangs his crooked neck and cries. Beerwah, the mother, is still pregnant, as it takes time to give birth to a mountain.


2 comments:

Matron said...

Thank you for taking us on a trip with you. It is great to see peoples gardens, but I always enjoy seeing some of the country in which they live too!

Roll said...

Awesome. I love going up places like that. I really miss our closest spot, a volcanic plug that goes about 250m high, beautiful place, perfect for slurping coffee with your feet dangling over the cliffs.

Have a look at ma pics! Man .. I haven't been up here for so long, no excuse really, I MUST get up the mountain again before winter ends. I'd love to sleep up there actually (hrmmm ideas!)

http://rolleys.blogspot.com/2009/05/sunrise-and-mountain-coffee-today.html

http://rolleys.blogspot.com/2009/10/its-been-while.html

When do you do the big walk anyway? Up Kozy? I wonder if you'll be there when I'm camping down in the plains and rafting out on the thaw. I'll give ya a wave. Kozzy is um, 2500m or so in altitude isn't it? That'll be a hike and a half. Imagine the views though! haha. rad.