Tuesday, October 18, 2011

You're not going to believe this. (Carrot jam)

Cooking the 450g of carrots
Cooked carrots with 350g of castor sugar added
Carrot jam, yes you heard (read) me right, carrot jam. You see I was visiting my favorite life line 2nd hand bookstore the other day (last Friday I think) when I came across this little booklet called "The Complete Carrot" and inside is a recipe for Carrot jam. So being the experimentalist that I am I just had to give it a go. So I bought the booklet, a whole 80c mind you, and into the kitchen I went.

Here is how it is written up in the booklet.

Carrot Jam
Carrots will make a very sweet jam (that's no understatement there). It is unlike fruit jams, but is cheap, easy to make and has an interesting flavour.

1 lb/450 g carrots
3/4 lb/350 g granulated sugar
2 lemons
pinch of ground cloves or nutmeg
flaked almonds (I missed out on the almonds 'cos I didn't have any)

Boil carrots till tender and mash to a pulp (I also used my stick blender to get a finer texture, be careful not to spray it all over the walls of your kitchen). Put in a heavy saucepan and boil with sugar for about 10 mins until mixture becomes thick.


Remove from heat and cool. Then add the grated rind and juice of two lemons, a pinch of cloves or  nutmeg and some flaked almonds. A little drop of brandy gives added flavour.



Carrot jam on toast


 How does it taste?

Verdict! With the juice and rind of two lemons, sugar and a pinch of ground cloves in it it tastes more like lemon butter with a slight hint of carrot. But seeing as I like lemon butter and carrots I think it's great. And it might just be good for your eye sight (where did I but my glasses again?)




Cheers

Stewart

3 comments:

Cathode said...

That looks yummy!

My Veggie Garden said...

Tastes yummy too.

Matron said...

I think carrot jam was made in England during World War 2! Looks great.