Cooking, cooking, cooking
Eating, eating, eating.
I found the recipe on a website called Kidspot where there is a truck load of interesting stuff all related to um, er, kids of course.
This is a link to the recipe on their website and following is a copy and paste job.
Breakfast, Budget, Cakes and Baking, Kids cooking, Kids food, Lunch Box, Easy recipes, Snacks, Cake stall
Gluten-free (see note below), nut-free
2 cups self-raising flour
¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 cup (250mL) milk
1 tablespoon butter
* Sift flour and salt, add sugar, drop unbeaten egg into the middle of the bowl and stir.
* Slowly add enough milk to make a thick batter. Beat well until smooth.
* Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat, melt teaspoon butter and drop heaped tablespoonfuls of mixture into the pan.
* I cooked about 5 at a time. When bubbles appear on the surface, turn the pikelets (muttering and cursing and chasing them all over the pan) and allow to brown on the second side.
* Transfer pikelets onto a plate and cover with a cloth while you finish cooking the remainder.
* Easy to pack in lunchboxes because you don't need to do anything else to them. Handy for afternoon tea, too.
* I also make these for breakfast (on those infrequent 'perfect' mornings) as a change to regulation weet-bix or toast.
* It can be a bit tricky getting the temperature right, I prefer to cook at a lower heat and potter round the kitchen doing other things while they cook slowly.
There you have it,
Cheers and happy pikeleting