Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Slow news day today. Pikelets

Slow news day today. The weather here to-day is overcast with a few showers.  And on top of the forty mm of rain in the previous twenty four hours plus the twenty-six mm last Friday it's just way beyond to wet to do anything outside.

A rainy day treat/comfort food for me anytime is pikelets. A favorite of mine from childhood (who doesn't have a 'favorite from childhood') when my mum would make them for us. I don't remember having them hot but I do remember them cold with thick butter and jam spread over them and then made into a little sandwiches.





Cooking, cooking, cooking

Eating, eating, eating.




I found the recipe on a website called Kidspot where there is a truck load of interesting stuff all related to um, er, kids of course.

This is a link to the recipe on their website and following is a copy and paste job.


Pikelets recipe


Serving Size:

Makes 20
Category:

Breakfast, Budget, Cakes and Baking, Kids cooking, Kids food, Lunch Box, Easy recipes, Snacks, Cake stall
Ingredients:
Gluten-free (see note below), nut-free

2 cups self-raising flour
¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 cup (250mL) milk
1 tablespoon butter
Method:

    * Sift flour and salt, add sugar, drop unbeaten egg into the middle of the bowl and stir.
    * Slowly add enough milk to make a thick batter. Beat well until smooth.
    * Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat, melt  teaspoon butter and drop heaped tablespoonfuls of mixture into the pan.
    * I cooked about 5 at a time. When bubbles appear on the surface, turn the pikelets (muttering and cursing and chasing them all over the pan) and allow to brown on the second side.
    * Transfer pikelets onto a plate and cover with a cloth while you finish cooking the remainder.


Notes:

    * Easy to pack in lunchboxes because you don't need to do anything else to them. Handy for afternoon tea, too.
    * I also make these for breakfast (on those infrequent 'perfect' mornings) as a change to regulation weet-bix or toast.
    * It can be a bit tricky getting the temperature right, I prefer to cook at a lower heat and potter round the kitchen doing other things while they cook slowly.

There you have it,

Cheers and happy pikeleting

Stewart.

The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining. ~John F. Kennedy

6 comments:

Pip said...

I remember having them hot out of the pan with the butter melting off them, yum, and also cold with butter and jam or occasionally with jam and whipped cream for a special occasion.. I'm drooling at the thought now.

My Veggie Garden said...

Ooh, ooh, jam and whipped cream. Now I need to make another batch :p

Wild Honey Photography said...

oh stop it. you're making my mouth water!

My Veggie Garden said...

mawhahahahah

My Veggie Garden said...

I was going to make Chocie cake today but I'm not feeling up to it. Tomorrow maybe.

Anonymous said...

Oh Yummo!!! I love pikelets. I'm going to try your recipe next time I make a batch ...