Friday, August 29, 2008

Tatties are go!!!

Site prep and bed history.
This is the third time I've used this bed. First was last summer for Sweet Corn (umm sweet corn) then I followed them from mid summer with Cabbage, Cauliflower, and Broccoli. Each time I add in at least 2 bags of horse stable manure, as much compost as I could spare and blood and bone. While I had veggies in the bed is mulched and watered with charlie carp and seasol.
For the tatties I have done the same. The bed has been ready for 3 weeks and I'll add the blood and bone when rain is due.

This is the easy bit all the hard work has been done by now.
I trenched out to a depth of 200mm, placed tatties 30 odd cm apart and back filled about 100mm. This should give me in the end about a 400mm mound over the seed and hopefully a bumper crop.

In go the King Edwards

In go the Pink Eye.

A little water, mulching, hilling, fertilizing, weeding and in 4/5 months ta da tatties.

No comments: