Monday, October 6, 2008

Salvia officinalis 'Purpurascens'

This is a photo of my Purple sage which greets me from my back door each day. For some reason I feel happy when I walk past it.

Salvia officinalis 'Purpurascens', a purple-leafed cultivar, considered by some to be strongest of the garden sages.
'Purpurascens' is a purple leafed cultivar of S.officinalis. The purple-gray foliage produces an interesting color note in the garden. Height 24-32", spread 3'. Salvia officinalis is the common garden sage widely known and used as a culinary herb in poultry stuffing, omellettes, soups and bean dishes. It is also used as a medicinal herb. It is a shrubby evergreen perennial with many branched stems and velvety gray-green leaves about 2" long. Flowers are generally violet spikes, with white and pink cultivars available. Height 24-32",spread up to 3'. Thrives in full sun in well drained soil.
More info from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4 comments:

The Old Dairy said...

I don't know what was worse the heat or the wind yesterday!!!!!!
Seems like all I do is cart water,but every thing is doing O.K
What is summer going to be like? Alot cooler today though.
Your garden is looking good,salvias are my favorite plants I have about 20 differant ones plus the sages as well...
Mandy

Anonymous said...

Sage is lovely isn't I love the look of it but cannot stand the taste.
Your plants are looking very healthy, despite this crazy weather we are having! Thank goodness there is a cool change coming. How are your plants holding up to the sudden heat? ~Emily

Anonymous said...

The colours on that are gorgeous Stewart

Blessings:)

My Veggie Garden said...

Hi thanks for the comments.
Emily, the heat has finished off my peas and broad beans but then my tomato's, lettuce,cabbage and egg plants are growing like mad. So it good and bad but hard/time consuming work watering by watering cans. I've got plenty of other jobs I could be doing rather than watering.