Friday, January 23, 2009

Autumn/Winter planting


It's hard to believe I'm thinking about Autumn and Winter plantings when I'm sitting here in 92% humidity with sweat rolling down my back, but that's exactly what I'm doing.

I ordered my copy of Green Harvest's 2009 catalogue last week and it arrived early this week, very efficient.
Anyhow so far on my wish list is
1/ Cabbage, 'Red Express'.
2/ Broccoli, 'Romanesco'.
3/ Cauliflower, 'Violet Sicilian'.
4/ Peas, 'Melting Mammoth'.
4/ Peas, 'Greenfeast'.

Already ordered from Diggers
1/ Cabbage, 'Mini'.
2/ Cauliflower, 'Mini'.
3/ Kale, 'Tuscan Black'.
4/ Parsnip. (Planted)
5/ Kohlrabi.(Planted)
6/ Broad Bean, 'Crimson'.

Already in is my Brussels Sprouts, Spring Onions, Lettuce and Silverbeet

I also have to source some garlic, onions and shallots from somewhere.
There's bound to be things I've forgotten to mention but this will make the back bone of my Autumn and Winter plantings.

I'm looking forward to Autumn and Winter this year after a lot of experimenting last Autumn and Winter I feel confidant of growing some healthy and useful crops.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oce you've grown Violet Sicilian, you'll love it. Romanesco Broccoli looks fabulous and tastes the same. We grow Tuscan black all year round. In fact we had some this morning on Eggs Benedict - far more substantial than spinach. We are also getting Autumn winter crops organised but won;t plant until after the eclipse on 27th.

Anonymous said...

Sounds great I am a beginner........but had super Salad all thru Sommer..... the one that grows like a mini tree........got the seed given not sure of the Name... will try some Autum planting.......

My Veggie Garden said...

Welcome aboard anonymous and I wish you all the luck in the world with your gardening.