Monday, March 21, 2011

Bloody grubs.

And what happens when you don't check your Savoy cabbage for three days due to it raining and a she'll be right attitude, because you think what can go wrong in the garden while it's raining liquid gold, right.


Simple, let 10 or so white cabbage moth grubs loose on your savoy cabbage.They blitzed it, seem to like the savoy around here, it's copping a hiding compared to all the rest I have planted.

There are many types of caterpillars which are usually the larval (caterpillar of a grub) stage of moths such as cabbage moth (Plutella xylostella)and small cabbage white butterfly (Pieris rapae). Cabbage white butterfly is white with distinct black spots on the wings and is around 40mm across. The cabbage moth is greyish and small and is around 10mm across. The moths and butterflies lay their eggs on the underside of leaves. The larvae of caterpillars hatch from the eggs and then feed on the leaves or fruit, so it’s the caterpillar of the cabbage white butterfly or cabbage moth which does the damage. The blue-green smooth textured caterpillar is that of the cabbage white butterfly, while the caterpillar which is green-brown is that of the cabbage moth. They both start eating the outer leaves before moving to the inner heart of the cabbage. It is a good idea to try and either pick off the caterpillars or spray them when they are still on the outside of the leaf, before they tunnel into the heart. Plants favoured by cabbage moth and cabbage white butterfly include cabbage, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, Chinese cabbage, celery, beetroot, rocket and watercress.

 Arrghhh gotcha, mwwhahahaaa
Five, yeah that's right, five in one go.

It seems Hazel Dene has a few thoughts on this subject too. Pop on over for a look see (click here if you like)!

5 comments:

Hazel said...

But Stewart...it is clear you have not been reading my blog...I have the no spray solution to your problem...pop on over.

My Veggie Garden said...

On my way.

Peggy said...

Hi Stewart, caterpillars know no bounderies!
We soak rhubarb leaves in water for a couple of weeks and water it onto the brassicas. It is a vile smelling solution which is supposed to confuse the homing instinct of the white cabbage fly/moth?!
We don't have much of a problem so maybe it does work?!

My Veggie Garden said...

Ah yes, I've heard of that one and I have some rhubarb here too. Guess what I'm doing next. Thanks Peggy.
Cheers

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come across a blog that's both
educative and amusing, and without a doubt, you've hit the nail on the head. The issue is an issue that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I came across this in my search for something concerning this.

Also visit my web blog: diets that work for women