Thursday, October 18, 2018

Why grow a dwarf mulberry tree in a pot.

Dwarf Mulberry. Growing on in a pot.

When it comes to Mulberries, 'dwarf' is a relative term. Still capable of growing to three meters tall. That's a large shrub or small tree still.

With regular pruning after fruiting and potting into a 600mm pot, restricting the size of the root ball, I am hoping to keep this one to around two metres tall.

Are you growing a dwaef mulberry? Got anything you'd like to add? Let us know in the comments below!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stewart. My tree is a grafted dwarf red shatoot, so my experience may or may not be relevant. In the ground for around seven years, I’ve had no trouble keeping it under 2 m. It’s in the hen’s yard where it provides welcome summer shade for them and they clean up any fallen fruit. I do wish I’d gone with a dwarf black mulberry as this berry while sweet enough, is too low in acid to appeal to me as a fresh fruit; it does make a killer pie with lime/lemon juice to balance the flavour.

Good luck with your subscription drive and thank you for the blog; I enjoy watching your videos, though I often just read the post if I’m in a rush, so I appreciate it when you also add your written commentary.

Cheers, Peggy

My Veggie Garden said...

Hi Peggy,
Thank you very much for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing that a grafted dwarf mulberry may have a rootstock that helps to keep the plant smaller but I haven't been able to find any info either way.

Lucky chooks too.

Cheers, Stewart

Anonymous said...

Yup, it’s on a dwarfing rootstock, which it is outgrowing. I’ve got the same issue with the dwarf lime, the tree trunk is about half again wider than the rootstock. Do you know if it will eventually strangle it, or topple over? I didn’t realise that the dwarf black was on its own roots until you posted this about growing it from a cutting.

My Veggie Garden said...

I've seen them like this before and though it looks peculiar they still seem to grow ok.