Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Chanticleer

I've just become intrigued by this character from a story in the AUG/SEPT Australian POULTRY Magazine.



Can anyone help with my education about him?



Chanticleer comes from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. More specifically, he comes from the Nun's Priest Tale, a story within Canterbury Tales. The Chanticleer is a proud and fierce rooster who dominates the barnyard.



For the best description of Chanticleer, we turn to Chaucer's words. "For crowing there was not his equal in all the land. His voice was merrier than the merry organ that plays in church, and his crowing from his resting place was more trustworthy than a clock. His comb was redder than fine coral and turreted like a castle wall, his bill was black and shone like a jet, and his legs and toes were like azure. His nails were whiter than the lily and his feathers were like burnished gold." With all of his splendor and great looks, Chanticleer is also greatly feared and mightily respected by all.


Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

greenfumb said...

Would you be doing Chaucer at Uni by any chance?

The only Chaucer stories I've ever seen are the modern versions done by the BBC quite recently. I have it on DVD and you could borrow it if it would help. Just let me know.

As for chooks, I believe they are of Canadian origin see this site for further info. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Chant/BRKChanticler.html

Keep up the good work
Deb

My Veggie Garden said...

Hi Deb, no nothing to do with uni, more to do with my love of chook stuff. I found a story about it and it has hooked my curiosity.
Thanks for the web site tip.

greenfumb said...

He's very handsome, are you going to get one?

What do you think a Barnevelder x Silkie would be like, someone local is giving some away and my daughter wants fluffy chooks.