Sunday, July 7, 2019

Here are the results of planting tomatoes later than the accepted wisdom. Not all that pretty now that we are in the middle of winter but this is the most tomatoes I've managed to harvest here in quite some time. I will try two more trials this coming summer, planting seeds on the 1st of December and January.

How do you go with your tomatoes? Do you think planting later would help? Let me know in the comments.

Oh, and don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel. Every bit helps a poor dirt farmer. 😀






2 comments:

Lee said...

Here in the UK, tomato seeds would typically be sown Feb/March with some heat (propagator etc). I was late this year so ended up buying some plants instead. However, in May I stumbled across some tomato seeds I'd left in my potting table drawer and decided to sow them anyway. No extra heat, just in pots in the polytunnel.

The may plants are now 3x as tall as the shop-bought ones, and so far the only ones with any fruit (albeit still green, but that's not unusual for July here).

My Veggie Garden said...

Very interesting. Good luck for a bumper harvest.