Friday, January 3, 2020

Growing Rosella, Hibiscus sabdariffa,


I've been wanting to try growing Rosella, Hibiscus sabdariffa, so I can have a go at making some Rosella Jam. I have tried and failed once before but I wasn't very committed to the cause at the time. I'm about halfway through the growing season and from here on they should start flowering and begin to set "fruit." A native of tropical West Africa, it prefers warm climates.

Rosella is an attractive annual shrub to 1.5 m high with large, lobed reddish leaves and attractive yellow hibiscus-like flowers.

Rosellas are easy to grow, with few pest problems, hardy and productive.

Most soil types are suitable, provided they are rich and well-drained.

Plenty of water is needed to maintain growth, flowering and fruit development, mulching is beneficial.

Three to four plants is all that is needed to produce a good crop.

Plants normally begin to crop when about 3 months old and cropping may continue for 9 months or until the first frost.

The fruit is ready to pick about 3 weeks after flowering when they'll be 2 - 3 cm across at their widest part. #growingrosella #rosellajam #myveggiegarden

2 comments:

Angela said...

They're good looking plants Stewart. I'd love to grow some (makes nice tea too says me who's a die hard fan of Yorkshire tea - strong : )) but I think that Adelaide gets a bit too cold in winter. Having said that I could maybe create a micro climate - maybe.
It's about 18 degrees here as I speak. Pure bliss but of course I know that it won't last. Cheers. Angela

My Veggie Garden said...

They're an annual plant, Angela. If you get them in early enough they should produce a crop before winter arrives.
Buying seedlings is a good way of getting a headstart.