Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Rain

 About time I put something up on the old bloggie thing. Though there's not much to write about lately except for rain. A facebook friend in San Antonio, Texas has even heard about our rain on their news and asked me how I was getting on.

I'm just going to get the machete and see if I can cut a swath through the back yard to the rain gauge to see how much we've had here. I'll be back in 30 minutes or so but just in case you don't hear from me again, then, it's been fun........

......I made it back, I have returned triumphant from my travels to the rain gauge and as I suspected my 120ml rain gauge doth overflowerth. Just too much rain for my little gauge to handle.

338, that's our official total of ml's for the 28 days of December so far, at the airport. And although we are only 6 or 7 k's away from the airport we do receive more rain here than there.

It's amazing to me that only 12 months ago I was disillusioned with the veggie garden due to the ongoing drought and having to lug around watering can after watering can of water to keep the garden alive, and now I'm disillusioned because I can't get out and work on the garden due to the incredible amount of rain we are getting. Maybe with a little luck things will balance out after these extremes and I can settle into some productive veggie gardening.

While I've been talking about rain we haven't received any to-day and it's supposed to be fine tomorrow, and though I am working all day that doesn't matter because it will still be too wet to work in the veggie garden anyway. But if we can get all the planets to line up then on Thursday I should be able to get a few hours outside, so here's hoping for Thursday.

Cheers and beers

Stewart.

4 comments:

Erin said...

I can feel your rain pain! Our garden has been demolished by the rain. We tried to get out today and paddled through the grass...here's hoping it evens out!

Roll said...

rain pain! oh, yes, the strawbs have swollen, burst and rotted, ants and rodents are invading, and the town is stinky like a swamp! We've had almost 500mls thus far. Can't WAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT till it suns up, dries up, and we can sit in the yard with a drink and our feet in the grass.. oh yeah.

Eliza @ Appalachian Feet said...

I didn't think there was much that could make me grateful for global climate change and the droughts my area has regularly experienced in the last 10 years... I was wrong. What a description (and illustration!)

I would absolutely love it if you'd consider submitting your comfrey post to the next issue of How to Find Great Plants. That's some companion planting I can really get behind. The due date is December 31st and here's the link explaining how to enter:

http://www.appalachianfeet.com/how-to-find-great-plants/

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David