Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Starting Sweet Potatoes

I know little about Sweet Potatoes (Ipomoea batatas) and even less about getting them started but I'm not going to let that stop me from having a go.

Forest Hill Farm Stall

A few weeks back riding home from Jerry Colby-Williams open garden I stopped at a roadside stall outside Forest Hill called Forest Hill Farm Stall.

Phil Dudman

Now I'd been reading in the September issue of Organic Gardener a story by Phil Dudman about growing and getting sweet potato started.

So when I saw the sweet potato at the farm stall I just had to get one and have a go at starting my own.

Roughly following Phil's advice this is what I've come up with.

He also says you can start from cuttings, aka slips, if you know of someone that has a crop already which I don't.


3 comments:

Tracey said...

Hey Stewart. I start my sweet potatoes by cutting the sweet potato in half, then suspending the halves with skewers, over a jar of water. I keep this on the kitchen bench, and top up the water as needed. When the slips are long enough, I plant them.
Cheers,
Tracey

My Veggie Garden said...

I tried that last year Tracey and the bloody thing just sat there until it went rotten. I must have done something wrong.

This looks like a Stewart proof way of getting things started I hope.

Tracey said...

Oh dear. I usually find the very best way to get slips is to leave one hiding in the bottom of the pantry, and forget about it. Then one day I'll find sprouts trying to take over the kitchen, like some weird kind of triffids. There's mixed emotions of oh crap I've done it again, and oh yeah sweet potato slips to plant. LOL